This agreement sets out what you can expect from us and also what we and our partners expect from you. You need to agree to all of this before starting with us.
The Service provided by Refugee Support Europe
The Founders (John Sloan and Paul Hutchings) and Refugee Support Europe (hereafter described as RSE) will provide the services described below, subject to the terms of this agreement. As RSE is run entirely by volunteers, all volunteers are expected to work with a degree of independence however RSE or its partners will provide:
- Organisation of tasks so that your time is well spent gaining experience and helping the refugees
- Information on our operation, health and safety, the status of the camp and current tasks
- In-country support, which includes: answering questions, providing advice and emergency support, briefings, and the organisation of occasional social events
By securing a volunteer placement with RSE you acknowledge that you are:
- Aged 18 or over, in a generally very good state of health and had all relevant vaccinations
- Aware that all costs attributed to the volunteer placement are at your own cost – RSE is not responsible for any costs associated with your volunteering placement unless otherwise agreed in advance
- Obliged to obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance to protect yourself against losses caused by travel arrangement cancellation, loss or damage of baggage, and emergency medical expenses. RSE will not be liable for any losses
- Supply a photocopy of your passport
- Responsible for providing RSE with complete and accurate information about yourself, including any physical or mental conditions that might make you unable to perform or safely complete the placement
While working as a volunteer you must:
- Fully accept your duty to uphold our reputation as you will be seen to be representing RSE and its good name
- Complete the tasks set to the best of your ability and aim to complete a full day’s work
- Work at least 5 days for every week on the placement and co-ordinate with us about which day you take off
- Wear RSE identification at all times when working; and it might be required to be worn at certain fundraising events at the request of the Founders
- Comply with all relevant laws and regulations
- Observe all RSE’s aims, objectives, and health and safety guidelines, taking care to not undermine or damage the work RSE does
- Respect the values and dignity of the population we serve and avoid behaviours (such as inappropriate dress or physical contact) that are culturally unacceptable to them
- Not post any comments on social media that could in any way harm RSE work
Physical and Intellectual Property and Data Protection
- You will replace any property that is lost or damaged through any careless or otherwise negligent behaviour
- All photographs, reports or documentation relating to RSE projects, will remain the property of RSE and RSE retains the rights over the use and dissemination of such materials for its commercial and promotional purposes, including, but not limited to, the posting of any photographs containing your image while on the trip on its website, brochures, or other marketing, promotional or informational medium
- RSE sometimes shares volunteer contact information (primarily email address) with other volunteers to allow direct communication between volunteers to share information and experience. You agree that RSE may disclose your contact information (email address) to other volunteers or potential volunteers.
- You agree to receive our email newsletter which you can opt out of any time by unsubscribing
You acknowledge and accept the responsibilities and risks associated with your agreement to travel to, temporarily live in and provide volunteer services in a foreign country.
As you’ll be volunteering in locations with temporary infrastructure, such travel and volunteer work can be hazardous and involves a certain degree of risk, inherently dangerous activities and personal perils to the volunteer, both foreseen and unforeseen, all of which you fully accept and solely assume.
Therefore, RSE and its partners, including any and all of its employees, managers, directors, trustees or partner organizations are not liable, to the maximum extent of the law, for any loss or harm you may suffer.
You agree to indemnify RSE and any of our partners against any and all liability which RSE incurs arising directly or indirectly out of, or in connection (in any way) with your travel to, living in and providing services in country.
Termination and Expulsion
RSE has the right to terminate or cancel your placement immediately if you are found to be in breach of any terms of this agreement. If expelled from the project, you will not be not entitled to any refund or reimbursement.
RSE has an obligation to its volunteers, partners, staff and the communities we support we will not accept the following under any circumstances;
- Child Exploitation
- Unwarranted sexual advances
This list is by no means exclusive, but is meant as a way of setting the parameters for all. Please report any actions to the Founders that you feel uncomfortable with immediately.
If you are comfortable with all of this, please fill in the application form below and we will arrange a chat through Skype. We ask for a photocopy of your passport. If can’t upload a photo or a scan of your passport now, you can email it to us later (before you arrive).
Download a copy of the Volunteer Agreement here.